Monday, September 05, 2011

Branding

Timely post by Nathan Bransford on branding today.

He says there's no such thing as branding on the internet, only you, and I have to agree.

Because I've always wanted to write mainstream fiction alongside my Harlequin romances, I deliberately chose a generalised tagline "Flirty Fiction with Flair."

With the upcoming release of BUSTED IN BOLLYWOOD, I've been toying with the idea of a separate blog, until I realised something.
I have a loyal following here. I look forward to interacting with those people daily.
I don't want to branch off somewhere else where I may miss out on those interactions.

Then there's Facebook & Twitter & Goodreads, where I chat daily too.
And I'm totally with Nathan. What you see on those media sites is ME. I chat life, books, kids, footy, food, Bollywood, publishing stuff.
I'm the brand.
Not a tagline, not what I write.
Me.

So that's what you're going to get.
Sure, there'll be loads of new Bollywood goodness here (stay tuned for some exciting reveals!) but what you see is what you get.

Nathan Bransford's post is reiterating this. Worth reading.

Don't forget the BACK TO THE BOOKS giveaway is running for another few days!
Check out my 3 book giveaway HERE.


4 comments:

Julie Cohen said...

And you are a gorgeous brand, baby!

I like your take on this.

J xx

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Well shucks...!

Yeah, this really made me think...hard to brand with different styles of books, but easy to brand me :)

Great to 'see' you, Jules x

Anonymous said...

I just popped over to read his post and all I can say is here! here! I am so sick of 'branding' and falseness and overheated blogtours I could puke! I read one of your books a while ago (a gal went to India and her boss followed her there).. and found myself thinking about the book later. I tracked it down and found the name of the author (You!) and I've visited your site several times since then because you seem like a nice person and I like your books. It is that plain and simple. Enough with the RWA/marketing plan brouhaha! Readers want a good book. Period.
Okay, rant over! And I do like your books :)

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

I'm so glad you commented, 'anonymous'.

And even more thrilled you enjoyed A Trip with the Tycoon, a favourite book of mine!

I think you're right. As readers (and I'm a voracious one!) we like to know the person behind the books, not just have the books shoved in our face all the time.

I love Twitter and FB because writing is a solitary profession and I genuinely enjoy connecting with readers and friends and chatting about books/life/whatever.

Branding should be about the person, not just about the books.

Ok, my rant over too :)

Thanks for stopping by! (and of course, I'm dying to know who you are!!)