Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The subjectiveness of publishing

Publishing is subjective.

A book I might love/an agent might love/an editor might love/a reviewer might love (you get the idea!) will have a reader/agent/editor/reviewer who doesn't.

That's why I don't pay much attention to reviews (unless they're mine and they're brilliant!) and prefer to judge a book for myself.

Here's an example.
ALL ABOUT ROMANCE (home of the Desert Island Keeper and a notoriously tough mob to impress) just reviewed my current release DESERTED ISLAND, DREAMY EX!

Here's the general gist:

I’m a huge fan of reality television, so this book sounded like a surefire winner, with the hero and heroine stranded on a deserted island as competitors in a reality documentary. I was disappointed that the reality TV portion of the book was glossed over, but found it to be a light, generally enjoyable read.

The chapters begin with tweets and blog excerpts from their island experiences – the show’s way of having them communicate with the public. I felt these made the book feel current, but also provided insights into the different ways the two viewed the same experiences on the island.

The majority of the book was rather light, but entertaining. However, one thing I really liked is that they both show growth over the course of a very short book, and gained insights into the previous behaviors. They each realize that they both acted badly in the past. A lot happens after they leave the island, but the ending felt a bit rushed. I found myself wanting just a bit more. (LinnieGayl Kimmel)

Overall, what I would consider a positive review (the full review is here) with a C+ grading.

Which got me thinking...as an author, what would I grade my books?
I'd like to think I'm objective, especially when it comes to my own work and I know for a fact my favourite books are usually reader favourites too.

Would be a fun exercise! Question is whether I should post my results here? Hmmm....

2 comments:

Lacey Devlin said...

Yes rate your own books! A+++

The A grade can't change but you can add a few more pluses on ;)

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Aw, Lacey, you're too nice!

But I love ya for it!