Monday, April 30, 2007

Big, beautiful Bollywood



If you've never seen a Bollywood movie, do yourself a favour and see one. The colour, the costumes, the drama, the laughs...each movie has it all.
Natasha Oakley recently blogged about this movie over at the Pink Heart Society and it whet my appetite to watch it again, which I did over the weekend.
My first taste of Bollywood started with Bride and Prejudice (based on the Jane Austen novel Pride and Prejudice) and I loved it. So much so that I wrote my own single title novel BOLLYWOOD OR BUST, which my agent is currently shopping. Unfortunately, while paranormal is hot, hot, hot at the moment, chick-lit is not so while most editors have said they love the book, it would be a 'hard sell'. Shame, 'cos I can really see this book on the big screen ;)
Anyway, back to Bollywood. Since I've seen this movie, I've watched whole host of others, the most recent a real surprise. Where in the past there was no kissing between the hero and heroine, this one had kissing, showed them in bed, the heroine falls pregnant and they talk abortion! I was so surprised, but I guess even Bollywood has to move with the times eventually.
So do yourself a favour. Head out and watch a Bollywood film today. You won't be disappointed. Oh, and if there are any producers out there, I have this really great script.... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I saw that film on SBS, was it the one set in Australia?? Though the Bollywood films can be addictive, the heroine in this one squealed too much all the time!! They may have relaxed the rules because it was in Australia!!!

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

That's the one! I missed the first hour, then got hooked. It was filmed in Melbourne. Called Salaam Namaste, from memory? Can't remember the squealing heroine, lol.